9.28.2005

And As We Wind On Down The Road...

So here it is... My 27th birthday.

My friend Mike was kind enough to call me earlier today, and kinder enough to remind me I'm lucky to not be a rock star. 27 is the death age for rock stars. So I suppose it's a good thing neither my rock group nor my hip hop group has blown up.

YET.

I'll worry if it happens before I hit 28.

So instead of dead rock stars, I get to focus on the good aspects of my birthday, things like calls from friends and family, cake, and the super-ass party we're throwing at The House Of Ideas this weekend. Also, I get to reminisce on how this past weekend, Cait helped me to fulfill my lifelong dream of swimming with sharks. No joke. MUCH more on that, and the party, in forthcoming posts.

But for now, all this dead rock star talk had me thinking... I've been meaning to compile my Led Zeppelin Greatest Hits collection for some time now, so as a gift to myself (besides my new DAWKINS JERSEY!), I decided to do that today. Those who know me well can tell you Zeppelin is my lifelong favorite band. They're pretty much the reason I started listening to music, and so I feel like I owe my whole musical sensibility to them. I go on these Zeppelin binges... I'll wind up not listening to them much for months on end, and then some switch will flip in my brain, and I'll listen to them exclusively for days.

Clocking in at around 3 hours and 15 minutes, this list comprises my favorites, and also represents the ideal concert set in the perfect hypothetical world (of course they'd extend "Dazed And Confused" into a 30-minute psych-out jam, so it would be closer to four hours). In said perfect hypothetical world, I'd be seeing them from the 10th row of an enormous amphitheater, John Bonham would still be alive, Robert Plant would still have a voice, Sandy Denny would be there to sing "The Battle of Evermore," and this asshole wouldn't exist. Before "In The Light," Robert would kindly wish me a happy birthday.

Enjoy the list, and thanks to all family, friends, and well-wishers who have called or written to wish us here at NTG a happy 27th.

Stay Inspired...


***************

1. Immigrant Song
2. Good Times Bad Times
3. Heartbreaker
4. Living Loving Maid
5. Since I've Been Loving You
6. Ramble On
7. Out On The Tiles
8. The Ocean
9. Down By The Seaside
10. In The Evening
11. The Wanton Song
12. Over The Hills And Far Away
13. Communication Breakdown
14. Misty Mountain Hop
15. Trampled Under Foot
16. In The Light
17. The Battle Of Evermore
18. Achilles Last Stand
19. Dazed And Confused
20. Whole Lotta Love
21. Nobody's Fault But Mine
22. The Song Remains The Same
23. Sick Again [* JMP note: slot 23 has been changed to Moby Dick]
24. Houses Of The Holy
25. In My Time Of Dying
26. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
27. What Is And What Should Never Be
28. Bring It On Home
29. The Lemon Song
30. How Many More Times
31. Four Sticks
32. Going To California
33. No Quarter
34. Stairway To Heaven
35. When The Levee Breaks


*****N*T*G*****

Never hesitate to comment!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy B-day Dude... just saw your led Zep list.. all good songs ... but i'm sick of Stairway to heaven...(after the 5000th time of hearing it0...But then again i'm 51 and remember when it came out originally....But that is MY opinion...YMMMV.
anyway.. hope you have/had a grateful day
Thane in houston

9/28/2005 9:42 PM  
Blogger JMP said...

Comments A-Plenty!

Thane: thanks for writing. I'm sick of Stairway too, but I have to admit my greatest hits list would be incomplete without it. I also must agree with Ben concerning the Astros.

Ben: a glaring oversight indeed, and after listening to the playlist once through, I deem that Moby Dick can replace Sick Again in slot 23. No live show would be complete without the Bonham drum solo anyway.

nvsurly: No, Kashmir doesn't make the list. I like it, don't get me wrong, but for my taste, if I want a repetitive epic, I'll take Achilles Last Stand. It rocks harder anyway, and it has better drum fills. All good on the birthday message too... my "birthday" has been stretched out over the course of this whole week, so no worries about not calling on the actual day.

9/30/2005 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home