9.21.2005

NTG Backlog Catch-Up #2!

The Rollie Fingers T-Shirt Saga



Flashback to August 9th, 2005...

While sitting at home bullshitting with Zack and Cait about life, baseball, Bush being a dick, and the like, we got on the topic (as is by no means uncommon) of old-skool baseball uniform color schemes. Two color schemes of which I'm a big fan are the 80's Phillies powder blue and maroon, as modeled here by the most-pimpin'-est of venerable Phillies greats, Von Hayes:



...and the San Diego Padres' brown/yellow/orange scheme, represented by the pic at the top of this post.

Well, my impulse buying instinct kicked in, so I checked out MLB.COM to see what kind of gear I could get. After searching around a bit, I settled for the San Diego Padres Hometown Legend #34 t-shirt. Rollie Fingers, man.

Now, I'm not gonna front like I'm a huge Rollie Fingers fan, but there are two reasons I went with this shirt. One, his name is ROLLIE FINGERS. I don't care who you are, but that's a cool ass name. Anyone who disagrees with that must not have a soul. It's the kind of name that sticks in your head, that makes you like the dude just because his name is what it is. It's the same principle by which Zack loves Jose Canseco. Seriously, ask him sometime: "Yo, why do you love Jose Canseco so much?" And his answer will be: "Because he's JOSE FUCKING CANSECO, man!" Same principle applies for Dolph Lundgren.

AND Rollie Fingers. Reason two, Rollie rocked the BEST handlebar mustache of any ball player. Ever. Check it:



Rollie was adamant about keeping his 'stache, against all odds. According to one source:

"Fingers turned down a chance to continue his career with the Reds in 1986, when he refused to shave his trademark handlebar mustache to comply with club owner Marge Schott's policy against facial hair. Fingers said he would shave his mustache if Schott shaved her dog."

~http://www.padresnation.com


So, my buying this shirt is a fitting tribute to Mr. Fingers, a steadfast baseballer who knew the meaning of principle.

The problem, however, is that SHOP.MLB.COM seems hell-bent on not allowing me to own this shirt. I initially ordered the shirt that night, August 9th. It arrived a number of days later, and to my dismay I found it was the wrong shirt. It was a Padres shirt, but it was a sickly shade of mustard yellow, with a white and brown circular logo on the front.

"That sucks," I thought. "But I'll send it back and it'll be fine."

Called the site and explained what happened, sent the shirt back on their dime. No problem. Then I went camping.

When I got back, my first day into work I found a package waiting for me. Tore it open, and what did I find? The SAME wrong shirt, mustard yellow with the brown and white logo. Now I was pissed.

This meant I was on my THIRD time ordering this shirt, and I told the phone rep I was none too pleased. He gave me the usual cloying response and told me they wanted to keep me as a customer, blah blah blah. So I placed order #3 with a discount. Fine.

Time passed. No shirt. After 10 days or so, I checked my delivery status online, and according to the delivery tracker, the package had been sent back to their warehouse. In the words of so many Craig's List Rants and Raves posters, WTF?!

Seriously, man, WTF?!?!

Turns out DHL just happened to conveniently forget to include the street name and building number on the address, so the package was simply addressed to "Joe Pisch, New York, NY, 10036." Thanks, DHL. Really, thanks.

Due to SHOP.MLB.COM's ass-backwards return policy, I had to YET AGAIN order this shirt. I all but cracked up when the phone rep told me this. Placed order #4.

After all that, I got the order confirmation email about two hours later. They had the right shirt listed, but the wrong size. Once again, got on the phone with an MLB.COM phone rep, and prepared to place order #5 while laughing half-maniacally and probably scaring the poor girl on the other end. She sounded kinda cute too. Sorry, "Jessica," if I scared you.

Jessica kindly informed me that they were all out of everything but extra large, which was probably why my order for a large got changed. So, thankfully, order #5 was unnecessary. I have yet to receive the shirt, but delivery is slated for this Friday, September 23rd. We'll see what actually happens. I'll keep you all posted.

In the meantime, here's a great source of info for our friend, Rollie.

But yo, for real, MLB.COM, is this any way to treat customers? I've been buying stuff online for a good number of years now, and this could rank as my single worst experience. Of course, my new-found respect for Rollie Fingers has reminded me of keeping the right principles in perspective; will the earth stop turning if I never receive this shirt? No, it won't. So I have to sit back and laugh at the absurdity of the whole ordeal. And you might think "Well, just don't ever order anything from SHOP.MLB.COM again." But it's not that simple. They also have THIS.

CURSE YOU, MLB.COM!!!

You may have won this round, but the war isn't over!


*****N*T*G*****

Never hesitate to comment!

4 Comments:

Blogger Ant said...

Speaking of classic t-shirts, I just ordered one myself. I'm not telling you about it because I'm hoping to have it in time for the October weekend. My guess is you'll see it and laugh. Stay tuned...

By the way, to anyone who thinks otherwise, the powder blue Phils jerseys kick all ass.

9/21/2005 10:00 PM  
Blogger JMP said...

Siked to see it. I'll bust out Rollie for that weekend too, provided I get it sometime in the next 23 days (I'm looking YOUR direction, MLB.COM).

Yo, I've been saying for years that the Phils need to resurrect the powder blues. They should use them as a special occasion uniform, for events like double-headers and my birthday. When I become fantastically wealthy and buy the team, that's my first order of business.

9/22/2005 9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm confused.

9/22/2005 10:05 AM  
Blogger JMP said...

Confused by what, Steve?

9/22/2005 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home