3.01.2006

It Happened At Midnight...

I was asleep at midnight this morning, which is highly uncommon in JMP world. Karate had exhausted me, and rather than battle the fatigue and stay up til 2 like I usually do, I gave in. Ate some carrots & peanuts (a typical post-karate dinner), put on my latest CD acquisition (Absence by Dälek*) and slowly slipped from consciousness.

And while I slept, it happened. My arch-nemesis crept into being, before my sleeping eyes.

My most hated of all adversaries, who torments me every year for 31 agonizing days.

Her name... is MARCH.

I despise the month of March. I must apologize to several friends whose birthdays fall during the reign of this hideous bitch-goddess of a month... Chris, NV, and everyone else: I'm not trying to disrespect you guys, but there is so little to redeem this month in my eyes.

For one, March's weather is forever miserable. Cold, gray, overcast, depressing. The few sunny days that happen to appear in March are typically so cold that the sunlight is rendered obsolete, and when you spend 10 hours a day in a windowless room and cramped subway cars the spare moments of sun do little to boost the spirits. When it's not actually raining, so much of March seems to exist in that state of "just about to rain," with the gray skies and misty, humid air. It infuriates me to the point of casting my gaze at the heavens and screaming for March to make up her damn mind, rain or don't rain! Just get it the hell over with!

Besides being a long month, there are no major holidays in March. St. Patrick's Day falls in the middle of the month, but that's not a day off work, and my memories of last year's SPD still loom large and terrible in my memory (this was one of the most aggravating days in all of 2005... I may never go back to Hoboken, except to see shows at Maxwell's).

March is one of those months that seems to take forever, especially given that so many great things are on my horizon for April: the return of baseball; the return of spring, sunlight, longer and warmer days; a two week trip to Europe; and of course, the Third Annual Two Man March (April 2, 2006... mark your calendars! And yes, I'm aware of the irony that the word "March" pops up here again, mocking me as ever... but it's in a different context... what, should we call it "The Two Man April"?)! Given that all these things are contingent upon March's end, I'm sure she'll do her best to seem like she lasts longer than she actually does. March... how I hate her so...

So, I'm trying to ride the wave of the few good things that will definitely be happening in the next 31 days. They include: my debut air guitar performance (you're all coming, right?); the release of Samurai Jack: Season III on DVD; and at least one weekend out of the city, most likely spent at the currently deserted, and thus-tranquil, Jersey shore.

Since winter is the time when the world seems to die, and regenerate itself to new life in the spring, that's the way I'll approach March. It is the final tribulation before the new beginnings of April. March will be punctuated by some good things, but overall, I see it as a time to lay the burdens of the previous year to rest.

Only when the old has died, does the new have a chance to be born.


[* - apologies to this artist, on behalf of Blogger's inability to recognize umlauts. His name is actually spelled D-A with an umlaut-L-E-K.]


*****N*T*G*****

Never hesitate to comment!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home