6.06.2005

New Snaps 6.6.05

This week's New Snaps actually includes a few Old Snaps...Of course you, The Reader, wouldn't know the difference if I didn't tell you. So, just so you know who's in charge...

*************

For Mom



I was in a friend's neighborhood the other night, and on our quest for pizza, we passed this stationery store. Of course I had to snap it. I always like documenting spelling errors, even intentional ones like this. (This begs the question...if it's intentional, can it be considered an error? This is a bit too deep and philosophical for 9am on a Monday.) I always like to show these to my Mom...she's a retired English teacher who instilled in me a very sharp sense of grammar. And she taught me to talk good.

*************

24/6



I took this on the train back from Long Island last weekend. I had to capture it surreptitiously, so as to not disturb the subject, so I had to use no flash. If you can't read it, the hat says "Playing the best in Jewish music today, LIVE 24/6."

It should have made sense immediately that a Jewish radio station would only broadcast 6 days a week, but it took a second to register that day. When I realized why the 24/6 actually made sense I thought it was kinda funny.

Special thanks to the dude wearing that hat. Apologies for secretly taking your picture and then posting it online for billions of people to see. If you have a problem with this, and you ever track me down, we will settle the score by fighting to the death on a suspension bridge over a volcano. But be warned, I'm a yellow belt, and rising.

*************

Will This Man EVER Stop Grinning?



*I snapped this off the TV screen while the DVD was on pause.

Zack and I watched 1999's "The Wood" earlier this week. I had never seen it before, and I liked it a lot. It focuses on three longtime friends, telling the story of how they met and grew up, mostly via flashback. The present day friends are played by Omar Epps, Richard T. Jones, and Taye Diggs, and their younger counterparts are essentially three no-names. The irony is that the flashback scenes are infinitely funnier and more entertaining than the present day scenes, which exist solely to tie the flashbacks together. The three 7-figure actors essentially just bullshit for a few minutes and then go "hey, remember that time we..." which leads into a 20 minute flashback, allowing the no-names to carry the movie, which they do very well.

Anyway, the point of this snap is that Zack and I always comment on how Taye Diggs grins his way through every single movie he does. He's the type of actor who could play a doctor, and deliver the line "I'm sorry ma'am, your entire family is dead" while displaying all 96 of his teeth. He spends approximately 85% of his screen time in "The Wood" grinning, which is up from his usual 70%. This is attributed to the fact that he's really not in "The Wood" all that much, and for at least half the time he is, he's drunk. Or I should say, his character is drunk. Of course, I wasn't on set.

I think he and Erik Estrada should have a Grin-Off for eternal bragging rights. I'd pay upwards of $7.50 to see that.

*************

Bethany



I just love this picture. This is one of Bethany's very rare moments of abandon, so I'm glad I was able to snap it.

*************

Uncle Joe

With the birth of my niece on June 1st, (see "It's A Girl!" in the NTG archives), I, the overlord of Nothing Terribly Grandiose, am an uncle three times over. I snapped these of my two nephews the last time I was home in Pennsylvania:


My brother's son, Ryan


My sister's son, Colin

*************

Psych



This is another in my "Subway Graffiti" series, I took it at the G stop on Greenpoint Avenue.

I think there's no better way to answer an ad so verbose and creepily focused. All this talk about unleashing potential, building a future, and being timeless, all answered simply with one word: Psych. What word could better debunk everything that came before it?

The "Psych" tag must actually be someone's signature, because it's on many of the ads at that station. Contextually though, I think this one is the most fitting.

*************

SubArachnoid Space



I saw SAS play at a loft in Brooklyn a few months back, and got this that night. An old film projector was flashing images in a wide wash across the stage throughout the whole show, which gives this picture its "impressionist painting" look.

*************

Joe, Untitled and Unshaven



This is yours truly, in a rare moment without the camera in hand. Cory shot this during a late night PS2 session. I look pretty rough...it was a long weekend.

*************

The Elevator



I recently went to visit a friend at her office, one of the major advertising companies in New York (I'd rather not say which one, not for legal reasons but because I really don't want to namedrop an ad agency on my blog...just doesn't seem right). This is the elevator: a black-and-mirrored cell emblazoned with hundreds of words and phrases, no doubt decided upon by a bunch of people in suits around a conference table after focus-grouping them to discover which ones most clearly convey their intended meaning, and all that other new-school corporate babble. I couldn't help feeling manipulated the whole time I was there.

*************

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well sir... it might not have been the agency's work at all. they could have hired an artist and said, "do something cool". and this is what he/she came up with.

and if you think that's trippy, you should come see the elevator at my office. makes you want to puke if you stare at the walls (and not because it's gross looking).

6/07/2005 2:19 PM  
Blogger JMP said...

True enough...But call me a cynic if you will, that still doesn't excuse it from being meaningless faux-inspirational corporate babble. It does look kinda cool though, I have to admit that...

6/07/2005 3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

see jax, it's not "hip" to be "corporate." it is, however, very hip to use the word veritable as often as possible.

6/08/2005 9:53 AM  
Blogger JMP said...

Mr. Cool is right, Jax. It is, however, hip to brand yourself with a moniker referencing a marginally popular techno-fantasy film from the mid-90's. VERITABLY hip, that is.

It's also, apparently, hip to shun capitalization.

6/08/2005 12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home