5.25.2005

New Snaps 5.25.05

"...The drug was called 'whiskey.'" ~Conan O'Brien

As I pulled up to the ol' laptop last night to compile this week's New Snaps, I contemplated watching Conan. It was that time of night, and I figured I'd be up for a little while longer. I decided I'd use the first couple jokes as the indicator for whether to leave it on or not (part of me wanted to bag the whole thing and just go to bed...). I came in mid-joke, so the very first thing I heard Conan say was "...the drug was called 'whiskey.'" I thought the punchline was funny enough that I didn't even need to hear the setup. I left it on.

These New Snaps are from many different days/places over the past few weeks. There's not much of a thread tying them together, except that they were all taken somewhat impulsively. And that's hardly a thread. But who needs thread? What has thread ever done for anyone?


The White Bus



I was (ironically?) riding a bus uptown not long ago, and this bus drove by. I had never seen a chartered tour bus so bereft of adornment before. I hypothesized that this bus was just coming from the factory and had yet to be emblazoned with its parent company's logos. That, or it was just a plain white bus and I was reading too much into it. That's also entirely possible.

Either way, I think it's cool to have just a plain white bus. When RJ115 blows up (see "¡Cientos Quince!" also on this page) and are touring the country, I think a stark white tour bus is the way to go.

*************


Todd and Zack, on the 6







There's not much story behind these. We were on our way back from a bar called Grand Saloon a few weeks back, snaking beneath the New York streets on our way back to East Harlem. I can't remember what the discussion was, but it looks like it was serious...

Actually knowing the three of us, it was most likely about one of five things:

1) Martial arts
2) Comic books
3) Some movie
4) Some sporting event
5) Some band

We're complex guys, the three of us.

*************


Episode III



I happened to pass Union Square Stadium 14 during the early afternoon of Episode III's opening Saturday. This was the line, practically around the block. I was surprised by the relative absence of nerds in costumes. I guess they all saw it at midnight Thursday night.

*************


Subway Graffiti





Since moving to New York, I've developed a low-level fascination with the Sharpie-drawn artform endemic to the subway system. It's funny how so often, the simplest joke will work: draw two penises on this image of Will Ferrell, sit back, and laugh your ass off. This is a classic graffiti tactic, hearkening long back to those rose-tinted days in Mrs. Peckmann's study hall in eighth grade, when Paul Sirianni and Martin Sjostedt christened nearly every page of her People magazines with phallic symbols. It's immature, it's puerile, it's downright stupid...but damned if it isn't just plain funny. I defy anyone to stare at this for a minute or two without at least cracking a smile. Well, maybe my Mom could...but she wouldn't make it a minute or two; she'd dismiss it as "silly" within the first 10 seconds and shift her attention elsewhere.

I'd hardly call it a storehouse, but I have a few different subway graffiti photos from over the past few months...I sense a post entirely devoted to them coming in the near future...

*************

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home